This stately brick home at Philippi, West Virginia is set against the rolling hills of Barbour County and was built in 1870. The mansion house has been restored with great attention to authenticity and features homemade brick and walnut woodwork throughout. The barn was built approximately 1850 and
has been restored. It is open to the public during tour season. The house and land reflect the early history of West Virginia with the original owners engaged in farming. Emancipated slaves from the farm worked on the construction of the house. The surrounding area is rich in civil war history with the first land battle of the war fought in Philippi in June 1861.

Historic Tours are available for small or large groups from May 1 to December 31. Hours are Wednesdays, Thursdays, and most Saturdays from 11 am to 5 pm, and on Sundays from 1 to 5 pm. A history of the house is given along with a tour of the rooms and basement area. Tours require a $10.00 donation to the restoration and maintenance of the house and grounds. Tours include the mansion house, barn and gift shop. Children under 12 years are free with parents. Buses are accommodated by the wide paved road to the barn where modern handicapped accessible restrooms are available. Parking is available at the house and barn.

Special Events The barn and gardens remain open to the public, but please note the Mansion House is closed to the public on some Saturdays and Sundays during the season. Please check the calendar for exact dates.

Listed on the The National Register of Historic Places, the AAA Mid-Atlantic Tour Guide, the West Virginia Museums Directory, the West Virginia Tourist Network, the West Virginia Visitors' Guide, and in West Virginia Weddings.

Featured in "55 Good Things About West Virginia," a supplement of the The State Journal, Summer Issue 2012.
Download PDF.

Roll over small images to enlarge